Friday, February 23, 2007

The Revelation


During my early childhood, I was regularly fed with a heavy dosage of desi movies; be it Malayalam or Hindi. It was good fun! But it had its banes too.
When the hero and heroine used to kiss, they used to show two flowers coming closer in the wind and then shaking right in front of my innocent eyes.
And the next thing I know is that hero heroine had a kid!!! It really made me wonder which flowers were responsible for me.

Some months after that our teacher was giving us some advice about not to harm butterflies.

Note ~ She had seen a few of us catch butterflies in the school garden and tie a thread to it to make it fly like a kite.

She started teaching us about pollination, and how butterflies help with that. I did not quite get her explanation and all I concluded after her sermon was that apart from butterflies producing (pollinating) baby-butterflies, they also pollinate flowers!!! And flowers pollinate us!!!

One day I asked my mom about a mark on her stomach and she replied that I had kicked her a lot of times when I was inside her.
Now I was utterly confused!

Flower pollinated me and Mom ate the flower. Ah!!! That's why I landed in her stomach. I thanked my stars that she didn't chew the flower properly when she ate it.
I did not quite like the idea of being chewed by someone, be it my own Mom!!

Later, after a few more months of ignorance, the TRUTH actually hit me. I don't remember the real dialogues, but it was pretty close to the ones mentioned below.

Deepak: "Do you know where babies come from?"
Me: "I know! From flowers!"
Deepak, Dev, Ram, Murthy all give me a "Are you insane??" look.
Ram (the wisest of us all): "You buffoon! What gave you the idea that you came from flowers? Children resemble their parents. And in your case it is correct. You resemble a FOOL"(Phool - Fool!!! Got the connection? ;-)
Dev: "My Mother told that she asked me from God. And that an angel came one night and handed me to her!"
Murthy: "Yes! My mom too!"
Me: "Then how come everyone becomes fat before having a child?"
Deepak: "Ah! That is easy. To produce milk they have to eat a lot."
Ram: "Ya! Once the God gifts the children to the mothers, God tells her to feed the baby milk. That’s why they grow fat."
Me (trying to hide my surprise at the startling revelation): "I was kidding! I wanted to test you guys if you knew it!"
Ram & Murthy (in unison): "Ya fool! We know!"

Now I was more confused than ever!

  • Why did my mom lie to me?

  • If it was not me then who kicked her stomach?

  • Why do they show such blatant lies in the movies?


Why! Why! Why!
Who gives them right to screw around with such an innocent mind?

It was then I decided to go back to my movies ...
And after watching a few of them I came to the conclusion that my friends were right! “And why?” you would ask!
Because in most of the movies back then, the hero or the heroine would invariably say "Dekho! Bhagwan ne hamein chand sa pyara beta/beti diya hain na!”

And thus I discovered the truth!

Have Fun!
Stay Happy.
TLT

P.S> I don’t know what I am going to tell my (whenever it happens) kid in case he/she asks? I guess I will still go with "You are a gift from God!" ;-)

8 comments:

Rai said...

Wow! Looks like our parents have come from the same school. Even I was told that I was given to my parents by a "Sadhu baba". I was peeping out from his red JHOLA .. and my mom instantly fell for me. Such a story, lol:-)

And I came to know the actual fact much later in life. Thanks to our BIOLOGY teacher! She was good in explaining the amazing ways of nature, much to our disillusionment :-)

Ankit said...

Hey these are the common lies :)

akshaye said...

hey roshan! fascinating blog! I found a link to it from kaimal's. hope things are great with you.

Rai said...

NEW POST !!!!!

Rosh said...

#Rai : I bet you are gonna feed the same story to ur kids too ;-)

#Ankit: You are right dude! We were all fed these common lies.
And BTW, thanks for visting my blog.

#Akshaye : Thanks dude! I am doing quite well here.

#Rai : Madam, Sabr ka phal meetha hota hai... ;-) Yahaan kaam mein waat lagi hui hai!

Rai said...

Sir, a good news for you ....
!!! You are Tagged !!!!

Pata hain meine apko thora overloaded kar diya :-)

Priyankari said...

Sweet blog. But I never wondered from where I came and nobody told me!

Anonymous said...

Hey! like priyankari even I don't remember ever wondering where I came from so noone ever told me. But years later my elder sister told me that she used to think that she had been put in a glass of water by god who gave it to mom to drink. And for a long time she felt herself lucky that mom had gulped the water and not chewed her up or thrown her away mistaking her for a fly or something!!!