Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Road Not Taken....

This Robert Frost poem has left the deepest and the most profound imprint on my life.
Let me read it to you.
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black,Oh,
I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."


Well, my life has been the same story. As a matter of fact, I feel that all our lives have a common story....Decisions.
Watched the long awaited movie Fanaa yesterday. I started watching this movie with very high expectation...Kajol, Aamir, Yash Raj Productions..What more reasons do you need? Even though this movie was a letdown, there was something that clung to me even after the it was over. It was small a dialogue by Rishi Kapoor.
" Hamara kal hamare aaj pe tika hai. Hum aaj jo faisla karte hain, woh hamare kal ka faisla karta hai.
Sahi aur galat ke beech faisla karna aasan hai. Lekin, do sahi raaston mein behtar chunna .. aur do
galat raaston mein munasib chunna... Yehi faisle hamare zindagi ke faisle karte hain."

Isn't this true? Every minute of our life we need to make decisions. It is the cumulitive effect of these decisions that decide our life. Every step in our journey is a decision.

According to my interpretation of "The Road Not Taken", I believe that Frost had made the right choice when he took the road "less travelled by". It is very easy to follow the crowd and arrive at your destination. But, to have the self belief and will power to find your own way.... That is what makes a man. Success does not come to all people. It does not depend on your destiny or your fate lines.
It is much more than that. Success comes to people who are not afraid to lead the way..people who are not afraid to make the first move..people who willing to stand up for themselves..people who have self-belief and moreover, belief in the "Supreme Authority of God".

These are sure to take you a long way!!!

So next time when you need to make a decision.....please look for the "Road Not Taken". Maybe, that's the right road!!!

Ciao

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have loved that poem for a long time too. Just recently I revisited it and it showed me something new. One of my favourite things about that traveller in the poem is that he is at a place where both paths have not been trodden for some time. The leaves are still golden and whichever path he takes he will be making the first prints. Both choices are intriguing and appealing. There are a series of decisions that we do not hear about that have brought him to this place and there is a sense of not regretting any of it. I wonder now if it is not only the road he chooses in the poem that has made the difference, but the road he has made for himself through the total of all of his decisions.

Rosh said...

Thanks for your comments...It has made me go back to the poem and read it again.
Please drop in your name ;¬)
Cheers.

Rosh said...

Hi anon.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»