Thursday, August 10, 2006

Of Uncles and Aunties......and a Sanskaari Me ;)


Have we ever pondered that, by now, each one of us would have addressed 1000s of people as uncles and aunties?

Before we continute with this post, do you know that Jackie Shroff is acting in a new movie for children called Bhoot Uncle?
Not very long ago, he did another film called King Uncle which was a disaster.
I sincerely hope that this one is better.

Note : "I absolutely love childrens movies ;P"

Coming back to our main question for today,

What do you call your "Chacha" & 'Chachi'? Uncle & Aunty!
What do you call your "Mama" & 'Mami'? Uncle & Aunty
What do you call your "Mr.& Mrs. Next Door Neighbour"? Uncle & Aunty
What do you call your "Mr.& Mrs. Shopkeeper @ The Local grocery Store"? Uncle & Aunty
What do you call your "Dad's colleague"? Uncle or Aunty

My parents have always instilled in me a sense of respect towards others, so whenever i am unsure of the relationship, I manage to easily get out of the situation by addressing them as Uncle and Aunty.

My "Sanskaar" is so strong that once I managed to call a girl (3 years younger to me as Aunty)
Wow! I still remembered the flustered look on her face... and when she politely requested me to call her by her first name... that was the perfect Kodak Moment!
I smiled shyly... scratched my head for a while... let the information sink-in...
Trust me, it was so difficult to call her by her firstname (because of the amount of sanskaar put into me by my parents) that I stammered and stuttered before uttering "XXX" in a low voice.
It took so much of effort and cause me so much mental trauma (Don't know if I can exactly classify it as mental trauma..Ha ha ha...), that from then onwards, I never addressed her before speaking. ;¬)

But, this too wasn't without shortcomings....

I remember that once when I asked her something at the dinner table, I almost got three simultaneous responses.

Life is really tough for a Sanskaari Desi ;¬)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle, ;) Hope you've recovered from your mental trauma by now.

"Bhooth Uncle"'s poster reminds me of "The Ring". I hope it's not another ripoff.

Rosh said...

:-)
Bhoot Uncle, i assume, is not a ripoff... the idea may seem similar to "Caspar".
Its definitely not a scary "The Ring" type movie!